““I’ll warn you; this plan is not for the faint of heart. It will be ridiculed by the ‘woke’ left, mocked by Washington insiders, and strike fear in the heart of some Republicans. At least I hope so.” ”
That was U.S. senator and National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman Rick Scott in an open letter that introduces his 31-page GOP agenda that he’s dubbed “My Plan to Rescue America.”
The 11-point blueprint apparently serves as his agenda for the Republican Party if it wins majorities in the House and Senate this fall — something Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has declined to disclose as the country barrels toward the midterm elections.
“Hopefully, by doing this, we’ll have more of a conversation about what Republicans are going to get done. Because when we get the majority, I want to get something done,” Scott, a former healthcare executive and two-term governor of Florida, reportedly told Politico. “There’s things that people would rather not talk about. I’m willing to say exactly what I’m going to do. I think it’s fair to the voter.”
Among the parts drawing the most chatter on Twitter on Tuesday was Scott’s proposal to finish construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border — and name it after Donald Trump, who championed such a structure, particularly as a presidential candidate, when he vowed Mexico would pay for it.
From the archives (August 2020): Republican convention to forgo party platform in favor of blanket support for Trump’s agenda
But that wasn’t the only Scott proposal facing blowback. The first-term senator proposed banning all racial disclosures and references to ethnicity on government forms, said there there were only “two genders,” and declared “unborn babies are babies.”
Critics noted that his plan failed to address inflation, which he has characterized as a political goldmine for Republicans.
Some people noted that his section on growing America’s economy includes making sure all Americans pay some income tax, as “currently over half of Americans pay no income tax.” It should be noted that the tax-exempt include some low-income taxpayers, and low-income families with many dependents who qualify for the earned-income tax credit. (President Joe Biden, a Democrat, has, in contrast, criticized numerous sizable corporate entities for contributing next to nothing to federal tax coffers.)
The section on “fair fraud-free elections,” which limits absentee ballots and demands that “no ballots that show up after election day will be counted, ever,” also raised questions.
Key Words (November 2018): Florida’s Rick Scott accuses ‘unethical liberals’ of trying to ‘steal this election’
The plan also a peculiarly capitalized section calling on American schoolchildren to “say the pledge of allegiance, salute the Flag, learn that America is a great country, and choose the school that best fits them.”
“This is my ideas on things we ought to be talking about to turn the country around,” Scott reportedly told Fox News. “The country’s in deep trouble. So I’m going to put my ideas out there.”
Here are the 11 points in Scott’s “rescue” plan. Each is explained in detail at RescueAmerica.com.
- Education: Our kids will say the pledge of allegiance, salute the Flag, learn that America is a great country, and choose the school that best fits them.
- Color Blind Equality: Government will never again ask American citizens to disclose their race, ethnicity, or skin color on any government form.
- Safety and Crime: The soft-on-crime days of coddling criminal behavior will end. We will re-fund and respect the police because, they, not the criminals, are the good guys.
- Immigration: We will secure our border, finish building the wall, and name it after President Donald Trump.
- Growth/Economy: We will grow America’s economy, starve Washington’s economy, and stop Socialism.
- Government Reform and Debt: We will eliminate all federal programs that can be done locally, and enact term limits for federal bureaucrats and Congress.
- Fair Fraud-Free Elections: We will protect the integrity of American Democracy and stop left-wing efforts to rig elections.
- Family: We will protect, defend, and promote the American Family at all costs.
- Gender, Life, Science: Men are men, women are women, and unborn babies are babies. We believe in science.
- Religious Liberty and Big Tech: Americans will be free to welcome God into all aspects of our lives.
- America First: We are Americans, not globalists.